LISS (low-intensity steady-state) cardio is a form of aerobic activity that is taking the nation by storm. Learn if it is right for you and why a multi-collagen protein powder may be the best accompanying supplement.
We’ll start with a definition for those of you who have never heard of LISS cardio before. Then we will get into our pros and cons lists. This will help you to get a feel for whether this is the type of exercise for you. Remember that you should always consult a physician before starting a new exercise routine to make sure it fits your current health level and any underlying conditions you may have. We will conclude by addressing how a multi-collagen protein powder can help you get the most from your new exercise routine.
LISS Cardio Defined
First, you need to know what the acronym stands for. LISS means low-intensity steady-state. Now that may not have cleared things up too much, but it is essential to understanding what LISS cardio is. The exercises performed are low-intensity, but your heart benefits from the fact that the actions are continuous over a long period of time.
So while the acronym LISS may be new to you, this type of cardio probably is not. Typical forms of LISS cardio include riding a bike, going for a jog or a run, taking a brisk walk, or swimming. LISS cardio is the opposite of HIIT cardio. HIIT stands for high-intensity interval training. The exercises are all high impact, and you alternate between these activities and taking a rest.
Now that you know more about LISS. Let’s see if it is right for you by looking at this type of aerobic exercise’s pros and cons.
The Pros: What Are the Primary Benefits of LISS Cardio?
LISS cardio has some significant advantages, even over other forms of aerobic exercises. However, it also provides some of the most common benefits of cardio. Here are some of the positives regarding LISS cardio:
- Heart health – LISS cardio improves blood flow, reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Improves brain function – Enhanced blood flow means your brain has a better supply of oxygen.
- Reduced stress – Exercise produces endorphins that fight stress in the body.
- Gentle cardio – Whether you are a beginner or an expert, LISS can provide the aerobic exercise you need. This is because low-impact cardio is the best for beginners, but experts can push themselves and still get more from the routine.
- Rapid recovery – Do you find that your workout routines don’t last because you are always too tired or sore to workout every day? LISS puts less stress on the body, so your muscles should recover quickly and leave you ready for your next session.
- Endurance training – You may be performing a less intensive workout, but the idea of LISS is to be able to exercise longer. This allows you to work on your endurance. It is great when training for a marathon or triathlon.
- Perfect for “no days off” – If you are trying to work out every day but can’t keep up with more intense exercises, you could insert LISS cardio on the days when you are too tired for strength training high impact exercises. It’s a great way to still get some exercise in on a day that would otherwise have ended up being a day off.
- Excellent for fat burning – One study found that LISS cardio is better than HIIT for fat burning.
The Cons: Is There a Downside to LISS Cardio?
Clearly, there are a ton of benefits to this form of exercise? Are there any reasons you may want to try something else as your primary form of training? Here are a few of the downsides to LISS cardio:
- Time-consuming – You won’t get your heart rate up to where benefits begin as fast as you would with a high-intensity workout. This means sessions are going to have to be as long as 45-60 minutes. If you have serious constraints on your time and are healthy enough to perform HIIT cardio, you get heart benefits in as little as 75 minutes per week.
- Potentially boring – Whether you are jogging, riding a bike, or performing any other form of LISS cardio, there is the potential for monotony. Beautiful scenery can help. In lieu of finding a state park to exercise at, you may want to wear an earbud to listen to music or your favorite podcast. Just be sure not to use both earbuds if you are sharing a road with vehicles.
- Repetitive motion injuries – Because LIIS cardio often involves performing the same motion repeatedly, you increase your risk of a repetitive motion injury. A dynamic warmup beforehand and static cool down afterward decrease the chances of an injury but add even more time to a lengthy exercise routine.
Adding a Multi-Collagen Protein Powder to Your New Exercise Routine
Now that you have a good idea of whether this is the right type of exercise for you, it is time to help you get the most benefit from your exercise routine. A multi-collagen protein powder supplement can help by boosting your athletic performance and improving your bone and joint health. Warrior Strong Wellness has just the supplement for you! Try our Pure Hydrolyzed Multi-Collagen Protein Powder and get the most from your LISS cardio routine.